When I was given the details for this Development Project for Lee Kum Kee, I thought of this recipe first, not sure how? Just I suppose I think that way and wanted to start with something fairly simple. I believe I thought of a way in which the earthiness of the Oyster sauce and soy would work together well in which a traditional French soup has that strong flavour. I wanted this to be Sweet, yet powerful.
I would like to add that this Soup may look like you can eat tonnes of it, but do believe me, with all the flavours and Croutons, it is very filling! This is why I feel this recipe goes to 4 people.
I imagine coming home from a cold hard day, need to use up an old, slightly crusty baguette and a bit of cheese in the fridge…Get that bubbling away while you’re in the bath and Bloody great stuff! You’ve got yourself a filling, slightly different soup/meal.
French Onion Soup with Giant Garlic Cheese Croutons:
– 3 onions sliced
– 1 Tbsp of Rapeseed or Olive oil
– A good Knob of Unsalted Butter (40g)
– Pinch of Caster Sugar
– 1 Heaped Tbsp of Plain Flour
– 150 ml of dry white wine
– 0.75 litres of Beef stock (1 1/2 cubes)
– 1 Bay Leaf
– A very Small Sprig of Fresh Thyme
– Cracked Black Pepper
– 2 heaped Tbsp of Lee Kum Kee Oyster sauce
– 1 Tbsp of Lee Kum Kee Double deluxe Soy Sauce
– Fresh Parsley chopped to serve
– A day old Baguette
– 2 Garlic Cloves
– Grated Extra Mature Cheddar Cheese Or Gruyere
– In a Large Saucepan, (Heavy bottomed if possible) fry off the sliced onions in butter
and add the glug of oil to Soften over a low to medium heat.
– Once the Onions have softened, Add the Sugar to help the onions Caramelise.
– When the Onions are more Sticky and golden in colour then add your flour and coat.
– Then add the White Wine, Beef Stock, Bay Leaf, Sprig of Thyme and some Cracked Black Pepper. Partially Cover and Simmer for about 20 minutes. Checking in between if you need to top up with a little extra water.
– After 20 minutes add the Oyster Sauce and Soy sauce and repeat for a further 20 minutes.
– Just before the Soup is ready, preheat your Oven to 180c. Place some sliced Baguettes into the hot oven for about 3 minutes. Take out. Rub some fresh garlic clove onto the bread. Cover with grated cheese and cook for a further 3 mins or until melted.
– Serve the soup with chopped fresh parsley and the Giant Croutons.
*Note* – This Soup should Taste Sweet yet Earthy and deep from the Oyster sauce, beef stock and Soy sauce. If it needs Salt, add extra Soy sauce. You can always add a little more sugar also if you want it sweeter.