Summer is in full blown swing now and we all love to have a good bit of “al fresco dining” from time to time. Wether that be throwing a few burgers on that rusty bbq that you’ve been meaning to throw away for that ultimate bad boy you’ve had your eye on or a lovely gathering where you have a few family members and friends around and want it to be fab but with minimal effort. I love where you have a dish in the middle of the table and everyone just dives in there together. Well this dish highlights that totally. It may be classed as a warm salad but it showcases Jersey royal potatoes at their very best plus other veg that are either just coming into season or ending. I.e the beautiful British asparagus, unfortunately it will be going out or already out of season as it only has a short period so if you can’t get them, use a British grown French bean. Personally I like to serve this dish all onto one big plate or platter. You might call this a warm salad but accompanied with crusty mbread and a glass of crisp white or rose wine you won’t turn back on this way of eating.
* Pack of chicken thighs with skin on ( 1 or 2 to each person )
* Herbs for the chicken include sage, rosemary, oregano, lemon thyme, golden thyme or normal and marjoram if possible.
* a good drizzle of cold press rapeseed oil
* 3 garlic cloves crushed and into halves using the skin also
* 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
* 3 tsp honey I used English honey , thick kind not runny
* 2 tsp Dijon mustard
* juice of half a lemon
* 300-400 g roughly Jersey Royal potatoes cooked until just turning soft right through
* 2 large handfuls of British Spinach
* 200 g British Asparagus tips trimmed at the bottom cut into half and blanched
* two good handfuls of British peas either fresh or frozen
* A couple of handfuls of British rocket
* a few sprigs of mint finely chopped
* Preheat oven to 190 c , place chicken, garlic , herbs and oil into a dish and cook for about 25 mins or until cooked through.
* Cook your potatoes in boiling water until cooked through.
* Mix together your dressing in a bowl.
* Arrange your Spinach, rocket and peas onto your serving dish or plate, add your jersey royals, place on top, add your mint.
* Then place your chicken on top, drizzle with your dressing and you’re done.