I love a “Fridge raid” dish as you know by now. Something where you look at what you have got in the fridge and come up with something amazing. I tend to do this normally on a Monday or Tuesday when I’ve had lots of Meat or fish over the weekend when maybe you’ve had a roast or similar to takeaway food. I always then thrive on having a vegetarian meal.
Now, One might say this is a Keralan dish or a Sri Lankan Curry as there are some resemblances to it. I just know its a warming curried dish that makes me feel happy when I eat it!
It has a lovely subtle coconut flavour to it which cools along side the spices.
I wanted to show you a recipe that is so easy and quick to make but still makes you feel full after it and believe it or not, its vegan and dairy free!
A dish that will warm your cockles and still give you the satisfaction of being quite a healthy curry.
Veg chickpea & coconut kale curry:
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 tsp Sri Lankan spice mix ( I use Spice Kitchen, all other ground spices and seeds below are too. )
- 1 hot green chilli chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- Sea Salt to season
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 thumbnail size of ginger grated
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- 1/2 400g tin chickpeas drained
- 1 courgette chopped into chunks
- 2 bell peppers diced into inch size pieces
- 1/4 butternut squash chopped into chunks
- 3 handfuls of kale
- 30g red lentils
- 1/2 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp Coconut flavour soya yoghurt
- Little bit of water if needed ( If a little dry )
- Long grain Rice to serve
- Cook the butternut squash in boiling water until just starting to soften and then drain and set aside.
- In a frying pan or wok, start to fry off your onions, then after a minute add in all of your spices including the garlic and ginger also. Stir, allowing not to burn your garlic.
- Add in all your veg ingredients except your kale and butternut squash to the pan, the lentils and chopped tomatoes plus a little water and simmer for 15 minutes, not allowing it to dry out.
- Add in your butternut squash, kale, stir and cook for a further 3-4 minutes.
* Season to taste if needed, add in your coconut yoghurt and serve with your long grain rice.
I can’t always share every recipe of which I create or cook on here. It would be extremely difficult as I cook ALOT! I do try my best though in sharing as much as I can but sometimes I create a recipe or cook one day and something comes together when I least expect it. I had done this dish one night midweek, for what I thought was going to be a somewhat, quick Pasta dish to keep me going in between writing. Nothing special as I grabbed some remains of ingredients to use up in the fridge… More fool me! I had meant to post this over a month ago and came across it this week whilst juggling through my Food Photography Pics. I pretty much try to take pictures of all dishes I cook as you never know!
The good thing about this dish is that the main vegetable featured, the wonderful Purple Sprouting Broccoli is still in season… just! So I would say, if you’re going to have a go?, try this weekend? Or even for tomorrow nights dinner!
If you can’t get hold of Purple Sprouting Broccoli, You could substitute for Tender stem or even Standard Broccoli but you should find some still knocking around.
Chicken, Chorizo and Purple Sprouting Broccoli Carbonara:
Ingredients: ( Serves 2-3 people)
– Tbsp Rapeseed oil
– Knob of Butter
– 2 large Free range Eggs
– 100 g of grated Parmigiano Reggiano (Parmesan Cheese)
– 350g of Spaghetti
– 2 cloves of Garlic finely chopped
– 1 small red onion finely sliced
– approximately 60g of Spanish cooking Chorizo diced
– 1/4 of a mild green chilli diced finely
– 150g Roast/cooked Chicken
– 100g Purple Sprouting Broccoli (Blanched before hand)
– Salt and Black pepper to season
– Pinch of dried mixed herbs ( I used herbs de provence)
Whisk Eggs in a bowl and add in the grated parmesan cheese.
Cook the Spaghetti to packet instructions.
Fry off the Red onion and Garlic in oil and then add the butter.
Add the chorizo and Green chilli. Then the cooked chicken and Herbs.
At this stage you can add the Blanched Broccoli,season to taste then stir for a few minutes and add your drained pasta to the mixture.
Then pop your Pasta mix into the bowl with the eggs and parmesan and quickly stir.
Serve into warm bowls immediately and grate some more parmesan on top.