Piri piri chicken
Most of us, including myself love a dish that can be thrown together easily, take not much time but come out bursting with flavour. Who wouldn’t? Plus even better, one you can throw on the BBQ too?
As I’m writing this today and looking outside to how lovely a day it is. The Sun is shining, the birds are tweeting and all you want to do is come home to not much at all and sit in the garden with a nice chilled glass of something. Dare I say not really wanting to even think much about dinner.
I thought I would share this recipe as a couple of weeks back on a Sunday evening this is what I “threw together” not expecting much but turned out to be now a favourite in our household. We ate the lot…not in one go of course! * Sarcasm maybe*
This is great to do as the marinade can be done the night before or just a few hours before. I only did mine for an hour first time and worked perfectly.
Tonight or in the near future cook this recipe. Don’t reach for the ready meal or the telephone to order. Fire that BBQ up and cook this to go along side potatoes, rice, salads and coleslaw. I did homemade chips and homemade coleslaw the first time. It went down a treat. I can guarantee , it will be a sure winner indeed.
Serves up to 4
- Chicken pieces such as thighs and drumsticks ( I had nine altogether )
- 2-3 cloves of garlic ( depending on size ) finely chopped
- A good sprig of fresh oregano finely chopped. If you can’t get fresh use dried but fresh is so much better in this case.
- 1 tsp of paprika
- 1/2 a green chilli pepper and 1/2 red chilli pepper, seeds included, chopped finely. If you want it more hot, use more. Less, use less!
- A good spritz of lemon.
- 2 tbsp of rapeseed oil
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to season.
- Place the chicken and all ingredients into a bowl or large freezer bag. Mix all together and make sure all the spices are coating the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for a couple of hours or overnight.
- Pre heat your oven to 180c when you are ready to cook and then place in the oven for about for 15-20 minutes or when your chicken is thoroughly cooked through.
- In between though, baste your chicken with the juices half way through and at the end.
- Serve with a side of your choice and a glass of something and enjoy!