Indian Spiced Cauliflower and Kale Fritters for Food Friday on BBC Radio Leicester
Often when it comes around for myself to do Food Friday again for BBC Leicester, which is about every month now. I love to look at what I have already in my Fridge and Cupboards as I want to show people how it is great to tackle a few ingredients and see what you can come up with. I like to show how we can be more frugal by using up things we have and creating something that is quick, easy and has that wow factor. Other times I have to admit, there maybe a certain recipe I want to cover may it be a particular event or season in the Calendar year. I have the skills of being a Chef so I obviously want to share that knowledge with our Listeners.
I had to laugh at Ben’s reaction to when I told him what I had decided to cook. His response was, “Apparently we are doing something spectacular with a cauliflower!” Which I do believe our little humble cauliflower over the last couple of years has lost its pizzaz. I personally LOVE cauliflower (Has to be British over personal choice mind you). It is so versatile and I hope to share many other recipes, however it is going out of season, but still widely available. I won’t tell you what you can do with it as you will just have to listen Here at Ben and Myself chatting about this fantastic Vegetable.
One thing I need to add is that since I did this recipe for BBC Radio Leicester, I actually feel that they should have been called Patties rather than Fritters as with a Fritter it is more likely to be covered with a Batter, which these are not.
Indian Spiced Cauliflower and Kale Fritters:
Makes about 20 fritters
– 1 Whole Cauliflower broke into its florets
– 3 handfuls of Curly Kale chopped
– 1 1/2 sweet potato chopped into 1/3’s if large
– 1 medium onion diced finely
– 3 cloves of Garlic
– 1 tsp of Cumin seeds or ground if have it ( I use Spice Kitchen for all my spices )
– 1 tsp of Ground Coriander
– 1/2 tsp of Turmeric
– 1 tsp of mustard seeds
– 1/2 tsp of chilli powder (hot)
– 1/2 large green chilli diced finely
– 1 Lime
– Small handful of flat leaf parsley chopped
– Plain flour to coat fritters
– Rapeseed oil
– Salt and pepper to season
* Boil the Sweet potato until soft, take out of pan and dry onto some kitchen paper.
* Boil the cauliflower until soft.
* Fry off the onions and all spices, leave to one side to cool.
* When the Cauliflower is soft, take out with a slotted spoon, pop onto kitchen paper to dry. Leave water to keep boiling for the Kale to go in.
* Cook the Kale for a couple of minutes and once again, dry off with kitchen paper and chop down.
* Into a Bowl mash with a potato masher all the veg and add the onions and spices. Add Salt and Pepper to season.
* Add the chopped parsley, mix all together and start to make a ball in your hands with mixture, pat into a fritter/Patty shape, dust with plain flour and fry off in a hot pan with rapeseed oil in.
* Fry for a few minutes each side and serve in a bowl with salads, chutneys and wedges of Lime.