Often when it comes around for myself to do Food Friday again for BBC Leicester, which is about every month now. I love to look at what I have already in my Fridge and Cupboards as I want to show people how it is great to tackle a few ingredients and see what you can come up with. I like to show how we can be more frugal by using up things we have and creating something that is quick, easy and has that wow factor. Other times I have to admit, there maybe a certain recipe I want to cover may it be a particular event or season in the Calendar year. I have the skills of being a Chef so I obviously want to share that knowledge with our Listeners.
I had to laugh at Ben’s reaction to when I told him what I had decided to cook. His response was, “Apparently we are doing something spectacular with a cauliflower!” Which I do believe our little humble cauliflower over the last couple of years has lost its pizzaz. I personally LOVE cauliflower (Has to be British over personal choice mind you). It is so versatile and I hope to share many other recipes, however it is going out of season, but still widely available. I won’t tell you what you can do with it as you will just have to listen Here at Ben and Myself chatting about this fantastic Vegetable.
One thing I need to add is that since I did this recipe for BBC Radio Leicester, I actually feel that they should have been called Patties rather than Fritters as with a Fritter it is more likely to be covered with a Batter, which these are not.
Indian Spiced Cauliflower and Kale Fritters:
Makes about 20 fritters
– 1 Whole Cauliflower broke into its florets
– 3 handfuls of Curly Kale chopped
– 1 1/2 sweet potato chopped into 1/3’s if large
– 1 medium onion diced finely
– 3 cloves of Garlic
– 1 tsp of Cumin seeds or ground if have it ( I use Spice Kitchen for all my spices )
– 1 tsp of Ground Coriander
– 1/2 tsp of Turmeric
– 1 tsp of mustard seeds
– 1/2 tsp of chilli powder (hot)
– 1/2 large green chilli diced finely
– 1 Lime
– Small handful of flat leaf parsley chopped
– Plain flour to coat fritters
– Rapeseed oil
– Salt and pepper to season
* Boil the Sweet potato until soft, take out of pan and dry onto some kitchen paper.
* Boil the cauliflower until soft.
* Fry off the onions and all spices, leave to one side to cool.
* When the Cauliflower is soft, take out with a slotted spoon, pop onto kitchen paper to dry. Leave water to keep boiling for the Kale to go in.
* Cook the Kale for a couple of minutes and once again, dry off with kitchen paper and chop down.
* Into a Bowl mash with a potato masher all the veg and add the onions and spices. Add Salt and Pepper to season.
* Add the chopped parsley, mix all together and start to make a ball in your hands with mixture, pat into a fritter/Patty shape, dust with plain flour and fry off in a hot pan with rapeseed oil in.
* Fry for a few minutes each side and serve in a bowl with salads, chutneys and wedges of Lime.