Sausage, vegetable and apple traybake
October 6, 2015
This oven-roasted meal really is incredibly easy to make. Not to mention how inexpensive it is also.
After a long day the last thing you need is to be slaving over the oven or even waiting a long time for something to cook. Plus, now that Autumn is making more of an appearance and becoming darker in the evenings this is the perfect comfort, pick me up food and with a little cheekiness from the cider I’ve popped in there.
Ive used apples in this recipe as it just adds an extra burst of sweetness against the sausages and sage in there. Plus lots of people are giving them away due to bumper crops this year.
If you have a family get-together coming up or you just want to do a Sunday lunch thats a little easier, this is a perfect choice for that. Leftovers can be chopped up and put into a spicy tomato pasta bake.
With the lovely colours it gives off, it truly is Autumn in one dish really.
Sausage, vegetable and apple traybake:
– 1-2 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 6 British sausages ( I used a Pork and chive variety)
- 2 red onions sliced into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves crushed and roughly chopped
- 1 chicken stock cube crumbled over or half a gel pot
- 1-2 parsnips roughly diced
- 1 red pepper roughly diced
- 1 orange pepper or yellow diced roughly
- 2 apples, something like a British cox
- 2-3 potatoes peeled and chopped into inch size chunks
- a good sprig of thyme
- a few fresh sage leaves
- 200ml Apple cider
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp honey
- salt and cracked black pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 190c. In a frying pan, brown off the sausages.
- Coat all vegetables in oil, ( not the peppers or apples yet )and pop into the oven for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes coat the vegetables with the honey and mustard, add the peppers, thyme, garlic, stock and seasoning.
- Place the sausages in between the veg and pour into your frying pan the cider to get all the sticky juice from the sausages.then pour that into your traybake.
* Pop back into the oven for a further 15 minutes. After that put your apples and sage in-between the sausages and veg and pop back into the oven for approximately another 15 minutes or when all golden and cooked.
I couldn’t help diving in with a knife and fork before even serving it up, it was THAT nice!