Jerk style chicken with peach and cucumber salsa
January 6, 2016
What is it with Diets in January? I like creating healthy recipes and eating them, don’t get me wrong but why is it that when as soon as New years Eve is out of the way, people seemed to have consumed so many calories over Christmas, they must be the size of Brazil by now!
I don’t actually eat that much over Christmas, maybe the wrong type of foods yes but never anymore than normal really. I can’t afford much more! I say eat in moderation, have a balanced diet. Plus that way you get a wide range of foods and with the added cheeky treat.
So I thought my readers I’d share a recipe I did back in the summer of last year that isn’t super healthy but has a lot of benefits in it thats better than a Pork pie…Ooh any of that left?
This Jamaican marinade has so many different versions all over the world, from Grandmas recipe that has been passed down the years in a Caribbean household to such as my recipe here which I have created. Some may argue it isn’t a true Jerk recipe but its one I have been doing for sometime now and it never fails to impress people.
With Jerk recipes, some are dry and some are wet. I have gone for the more wet and sticky version so be prepared as you wont be able to eat this elegantly.
The many times I have done this dish, I’ve served it with wedges, sweet potato, rice and coleslaw, ( not all at once) however it was now time for a real fruity kick of a salsa and you can’t get more refreshing than this with the added cucumber. The coconut oil adds a real sheen and added class to it. You could even use fresh coconut in there, finely grated or sliced.
A comforting dish still for January but with some added healthy Oomph as well.
Jerk style chicken with a peach and cucumber
(Serves 3 people)
– 3 Chicken drumsticks, 3 thighs
- 3 Garlic Cloves finely chopped
- 1 Medium sized Red Chilli finely diced, more if you like it really spicy
- Thumbnail size of Fresh Ginger grated
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Malt Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp of good quality Jerk seasoning ( depending on how powerful the seasoning is)( I used Spice Kitchen’s)
- Spritz of Lime
- Sprinkle of caster sugar
- 1 tbsp of Rapeseed oil
- 3 peaches Peeled and diced
- 3 inch size of cucumber peeled,de-seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 red pepper
- Half a red chilli finely chopped and de-seeded
- Handful of fresh chopped coriander
- 1 tsp- 1 tbsp of Coconut oil, depending on how much it
- A good squeeze of fresh Lime juice ( no more than half )
- A good squeeze of Fresh Orange ( no more than a quarter of a large orange )
* Place all marinade ingredients into a bowl and mix together
- Make some score lines in your chicken and add to your marinade, working it into he chicken. Cover your bowl and leave in the fridge from 6 hours up to 24 hours if you can. (The longer the better)
- Chop all ingredients for your salsa and set aside in the fridge
- Pre-heat oven on 190c-200c
* Check if your chicken looks a little dry, add a bit more of rapeseed oil, not too much as the chicken has skin on.
- Pop your Chicken into the baking tray/dish of your choice and pop in the oven for 30 minutes or until all cooked through and sticky on top.
* Serve with your Salsa and your ready.