One Afternoon, sometime last week, I decided to drag out all the bits and bobs that needed to be used up in the fridge, as you do. Well, I always do as I save everything! I cannot begin to throw anything away, even if it is a 1/4 of an onion as it all links with another Recipe!
Anyway… I had numerous vegetables, cheese, milk, all sorts to use up so I decided to do a quiche but with Wholemeal Spelt Flour. It turned out great! I loved it, My partner loved it, in fact both of us said that the aubergines in this recipe tasted brilliant and adding that red chilli, really gave it some “Pizzazz” to it.
I was amazed how much interest I had for this recipe. People made some really nice comments and have been asking me to put it up on my site. So this delights me to say, By Popular demand, here is my recipe for…
Roast Vegetable, Chilli and Parmesan quiche with wholemeal Spelt Pastry:
* My Tin was approximately 9 inch wide by 2 inch deep.
I cannot state this recipe as vegetarian as it has Parmesan in it. But you could substitute for another cheese or simply none at all! *
(Pastry *I froze half down)
– 250g Wholemeal Spelt pastry, (Sieved half as I wanted some “crunch/depth” to it)
– 150g Unsalted Butter cubed and softened
– Pinch of Caster sugar
– Pinch of Sea Salt
– 1 Egg
– 1 tbsp of cold Whole Milk
– 3 Medium Free Range Eggs
– 100 ml Double Cream
– 100 ml Whole Milk
– Sprinkle of Ground Nutmeg
– 100g Parmesan Cheese
– Half and Aubergine Diced roughly
– 1 medium Onion Diced
– 6-8 small red and yellow tomatoes halved or quartered
– 1/4 green Pepper Diced
– 1/4 Red Chilli diced finely
– 3 leaves of fresh basil finely sliced
– 1/2 small green courgette finley sliced
– Splash of Olive oil
– Few dried herbs
– Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper
* Preheat Oven to 190c
* Pop ingredients for your Pastry into a food processor and mix until dough forms a ball. Or if you prefer, you can do this by hand.
* Place Pastry onto floured surface, knead slightly together, Cover with Cling Film and place in fridge until you want to use.
* Roast all vegetables in oven with olive oil and dry Herbs.
* Roll out Pastry to about 1/2 cm thick or if you can, slightly thinner.
* Blind Bake Pastry for approximately 12- 15 minutes
* Once Vegetables are cooked and Pastry is blind Baked, Pop your grated Parmesan into the pastry case, then vegetables, Everything else all in and bake in the oven for approximately 30-40 minutes as different Ovens and Tins can make a big difference.
* When your Quiche is cooked, allow to cool first before slicing into.
This is a great Quiche eaten Warm or cold. Ideal for a picnic and can be served with many different things.