For “Food Friday” On BBC Radio Leicester Last Friday, I decided that I would do a recipe that people could get their children involved with. As you are all aware of by now I do this with Ben Jackson on his show and Seeing as it was Half term and also with Halloween just around the corner, I began to think about what children would like to make and eat around this time of the year. Ben has Children also, so I was hoping that they could have a go at this with Ben over the weekend.
Click on this Link to Hear me on the show with Ben making them!
I realise it doesn’t look spooky or comical for Halloween (the oozing-ness maybe?) But this recipe will go down a storm if you have children and Adults coming round. I am definitely making more of these possibly again this weekend. I loved the alternative of using Pork and Apple. I might even try different cheeses inside, but it can’t be too strong as it will just overpower the meat.
This recipe has been a winner with my Fiancé too and he normally loves a big fat juicy Beef burger, so If he likes it, that’s good enough for me!
Pork and Apple Burgers with Oozing Mozzarella:
(Makes Approximately 5-6 burgers)
– Approximately 500g of Pork Mince
– 2 Tbsp of Rapeseed Oil
– 1 large onion diced finely
– 1 Clove of Garlic finely chopped
– Half of one side of an Apple Grated ( I used English Gala )
– 1 Level Tbsp of Sage
– 1 Level Tbsp of Fresh Parsley
– Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to season
– 1 Tsp of Dijon Mustard
– 1 Tbsp of Tomato Puree
– 1 1/2 slice of White bread into Breadcrumbs
– 1 Ball of Mozzarella
– Salad= I used Iceberg lettuce, Round lettuce, tomato, onion and cucumber
– Preheat Oven at 190c,
– Fry off your chopped Onion and Garlic in a splash of Rapeseed oil in a Frying Pan until Golden brown,
– Mix all ingredients together (minus oil) into a mixing bowl with your Hands,
– Roll a small handful of the mixture into a ball, Press an inch sized ball of the Mozzarella into the middle, roll back into a ball and flatten into a burger.
– Repeat process for how many burgers you need.
– Fry off Burgers into a separate frying pan 3-4 minutes each side and then place onto a baking tray for about 12 minutes.
– In the meantime Prepare your Salad and Buns and a minute or two before the burgers are done, Place Buns open on a tray to toast slightly.
– Assemble and tuck in!