This is something Ive always done for years with Tomatoes. I first picked it up when I was a Commis Chef many years ago in a fine dining restaurant. In the restaurant kitchens, it is so hot, we used to just place them under the Pass lights to do this. In hot countries or in summer, yes you could just place them in the sun but I find and easier way of doing this and one that doesn’t attract wasps or flies!
I had a huge interest from people when I did these, it was lovely, so I just had to share it. There is also going to be a recipe that pairs these with something that will come shortly after.
This is a great way of using up tomatoes when they are starting to “turn”. I used Baby Plum tomatoes in this recipe but you can do it with any, just have to have them longer in the oven (Low and slow) and the bigger they are, slice them thinner. Once you have done this you will never turn back.
Homemade “Sun-blushed” Tomatoes:
* N.B – I haven’t put any measurements/weights down in this recipe as it’s your call on how much you make.
– Tomatoes, I used Baby Plum
– Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper
– Selection of Herbs chopped , I used Parsley, Basil, dried Thyme and Rosemary but you could also use oregano, Marjoram, tarragon etc…
– Rapeseed Oil or good quality Olive oil to drizzle and marinate in the Jar so have a full bottle handy
– 3-4 Cloves of Garlic
– Caster Sugar to sprinkle
* Preheat your oven to 100c-120 c, depending on how powerful your oven is and size of tomato. For these tiny ones. Mine took just over an hour. Just keep checking them.
* Slice your Tomatoes and place onto a baking dish/tray
* Sprinkle a bit of sea salt, Cracked Black Pepper, dried (Homemade) Thyme, Rosemary and sugar
* Drizzle with oil and place in the oven for anything between 1 hour and 2, as stated above.
* Keep checking your tomatoes every 20-30 mins.
* In the meantime when you are waiting, Sterilise your chosen Jar, start to add your oil and Garlic.
* A couple of minutes before they are done, I added on top some fresh parsley and basil to cool down with but placed them into a cool dish.
* Once they are cooled add to your jar and you’re done. Keep in the fridge. And the oil that comes off this will be out of this world! Do not throw it away!