I have been meaning to post this Recipe for a good couple of weeks now. I had so much interest for the recipe it’s unbelievable, I was so pleased. I suppose like myself others love vibrancy on their plate and know that what tastes fantastic is also great for one’s body too.
By now, you will know that I love colourful dishes, many different colours on one plate however with this one, sticking to all green really worked. I based it around a salad I used to do years ago, but really raided my fridge and added as much other herbs that I needed to use up. Not only was it a great healthy dish that day but as always I was using things up, so Bonus!
If you love really Fresh, seasonal vegetables and want a bit of a boost, this is for you. The taste that the sexy, slinky Asparagus gives along-side the Peas, mint and fennel is just divine. I don’t like to overpower Asparagus too much, I love to taste them as they are…At their best and they don’t have a very long season, so in that time, appreciate them!
What is also great about this dish is that you can have it as it is or as a great accompaniment to chicken or Fish. I can just see myself among Family and friends tucking into a huge bowl of this whilst passing it around, the Sun shining down on us and of course in hand with a lovely crisp White wine… or even a Light Beer.
Super Spring Green Asparagus Salad:
( Can’t be too specific, after all it is a Salad so you put in as much as you want)
– A handful of Asparagus Spears, wood end taken off
– A handful of Washed baby Leaf Spinach
– A Large handful of Washed Watercress, take off some of the thicker stalks
– A good Handful about 50g of Petit Pois, defrosted and drained
– Fennel Sliced very finely. Remember to peel the outer string like you do with Celery
– Also Fennel fronds to sprinkle
– Snipped Salad Cress
– Fresh Flat leaf Parsley
– Fresh Mint Leaves
– Chopped Dill ( not too much as very strong)
I personally feel that this Salad doesn’t need anything to go on it as it shines on its own, however I did try a few dressings to check and one in particular jumped out.
– Plain Greek style Yoghurt ( You could use Low fat if you wanted but contains more sugar in some cases)
– Cucumber peeled and diced finely
– Finely Chopped Fresh Mint
– A spritz from a Fresh Orange and a little Zest
* In a pan of boiling water cook the Asparagus Spears for 2 minutes, then plunge into iced water to keep them Vividly Green.
* Chop into 1-2 inch pieces.
* Assemble your Salad as you wish.
* Place your Yoghurt dressing ingredients into a small glass Jar and shake or mix in a bowl.