There is something I find quite comforting with a fried rice dish. In British takeaways or restaurants we tend to order it as a side dish but I find it a great supper in-itself.
I feel sometimes people are a little unsure and daren’t try to cook Chinese favourites at home but they really are easy to do.
The key to a successful fried rice is to always make sure your rice is cooked and cooled down to cold before frying it in the wok, else hot rice to a hot pan just will stick together. My recipe is done from scratch or you could cook your rice the day before.
I have used King Prawns but you could substitute to Chicken, turkey or Pork.
This is a delicious meal that only takes 15 minutes to do, so is perfect when you need to get food on the table fast. Just don’t forget the chopsticks!
Easy king prawn and egg fried rice:
- 250g Long grain rice
- 2-3 tbsp Rapeseed oil ( can burn quickly, just be careful ) or use vegetable, or groundnut oil
- 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- A thumbnail size of fresh Ginger grated
- 2 eggs
- 2-3 Spring onions chopped (save some for on top at the end)
- a few leaves of green pak choi chopped
- tbsp of light soy sauce or superior light ( found in Chinese supermarkets. Mine was from Wang Fung Hong in Leicester )
- tbsp of Oyster sauce ( Wang Fung Hong )
- cracked black pepper to season
- Cook rice to packet instructions. In a sieve or fine colander under cold water rinse the rice until all cold, not sticky and no water at all. Pop aside.
- Heat a little oil in your wok and once hot pop in your scrambled eggs, just folding in the wok until almost cooked, do not scramble vigorously.Then place aside in a bowl.
- Place some oil in your wok again and start to fry off some of your spring onions, pak choi, stir, then add in garlic and ginger for only about 30 seconds.
- Pop in your sauces to your veg, stirring, then add in your Rice, stir or toss all around the wok allowing the sauce to coat your rice. Add in your prawns and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Then stir in your cooked eggs from before, stir and add some pepper to season.
– Once all is perfectly hot, serve into bowls and place on some finely chopped spring onion.